Workshops and Classes
The DRAWING and PAINTING courses in the Ben McLeod Studio are a great way for you to learn new skills, develop existing skills or rekindle a love and ability for art that may have sat dormant for some time. All classes are structured with a step-by-step hands-on approach and lots of personal instruction. Traditionally these have been BEGINNERS classes on a Monday and a CONTINUATION class on a Wednesday evening - with an emphasis on furthering painterly expression.
However - as some students have returned ALL classes are now for all abilities (with the exception of a NEW Tuesday class) and differentiated to accommodate the different stages that people are at. This means there is flexibility regarding the days. At present there is:
1: MONDAY MORNING group 10-12:30pm - hoping to restart for SUMMER TERM - Monday 26th April 2021
2: MONDAY AFTERNOON group 1-3:30pm - hoping to restart for SUMMER TERM - Monday 26th April 2021
3: WEDNESDAY EVENING group 6-8:30pm - hoping to restart for SUMMER TERM - Wednesday 28th April 2021
4: TUESDAY AFTERNOON group 1-3:30pm - hoping to restart for SUMMER TERM - Tuesday 27th April 2021
(this is an advanced class by discussion and invite)
These classes are run on termly 10 week blocks and cost £150 - which works out at only £15 per session. An important feature is learning together which often leads to making new friends for mutual encouragement - as part of this in the winter we have had Christmas Socials at a nearby Lakeland Hotel and in the summer a Student Exhibition in the studio - with wine and nibbles and work for sale.
As well as these ongoing classes there are various 2 DAY WORKSHOPS (see below) in the Spring and Summer - all of which can be booked in the 'SHOP' section... or by clicking HERE.
I have been running DRAWING and PAINTING classes in the studio for a few years now - firstly in my pevious studio which I developed from a disused barn specifically with this in mind - and now in my current space at Halecat House in Witherslack, Cumbria.
Numbers are limited - but if you want to be part of a group learning together and developing painting skills directly with the artist then book yourself on. Or you can contact me if you require individual lessons...
...and do not hesitate to approach me with any further questions.
MONDAY AND TUESDAY CLASSES HAVE BEEN ON HOLD DURING LOCKDOWN - AND SESSIONS MOVED ON-LINE WITH 1-2-1 SESSIONS AVAILABLE. THE WEDNESDAY EVENING GROUP HAVE BEEN DOING THEIR CLASS AS USUAL AND WE HAVE BEEN MEETING VIA ZOOM
5: TASTER SESSIONS + VOUCHERS
It is also possible to purchase some painting sessions as a gift for someone else - or even for personal use. And I have developed a VOUCHER for exactly this (as well as other VOUCHERS in the 'SHOP' section). Once purchased and received the recipient can simply contact me directly and times can be arranged for x3 sessions in the studio. They can even be bought for a group to have their own private classes. This could be with an emphasis on observational DRAWING... OR an opportunity to have a go with oil paints... OR a chance to develop skills in finding some PAINTING expression. The sessions will be individually tailored to suit the need.
For various reasons these 'TASTER SESSIONS' work better for some. It could be that it is a great and unique gift idea, or it maybe someone lacks some confidence in their own work, or it may be that time is very limited and x3 sessions are more suitable before joining a termly 10 week class.
These VOUCHERS work out at £20 for each 2.5 hour session and therefore £60 in total. They can be bought in the 'SHOP' section... or by clicking HERE.
6: 2 DAY WORKSHOPS
There are various 2 day workshops available from April to August 2021. With closely guided tuition over 2 days these WORKSHOPS are a chance to do some sketching and drawing in the plentiful space around the studio - and the following day to develop our studies into paintings. 10-4pm each day with limited numbers and only £150. These can be booked in the 'SHOP' section... or by clicking HERE.
A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO DEVELOP YOUR PAINTERLY KNOWLEDGE AND EXPRESSION - IN THE ARTISTS OWN STUDIO
7: ART SOCIETY - DEMOS AND WORKSHOPS
I frequently travel within the Lake District and beyond to do demonstrations and workshops in oil painting at various Art Societies - with emphasis on finding painterly expression
- 2 HOUR DEMO - that can be simply myself talking and working live through a painting and discussing step by step how the layers are built up and how expression of mark-making in my work is achieved OR some groups have the capacity for members to also have a go - and therefore emulate techniques there and then. This all depends on the needs and numbers in attendance. Some groups have had up to 70 or more - so space for all to work has not been possible. In some of the larger groups filming the work which is then projected on a screen for all to see is used and I am comfortable to work with or without this. I have experience with larger or smaller groups - talking or teaching... and this can be discussed. Charges are £100 (with travel costs also if outside the area).
- WORKSHOPS - which usually work around a 10-4pm timetable and provide a chance for members and guests to have a go at either oil painting for the first time or extend their knowledge and skill to find greater confidence in their painterly marks and techniques. This is all in a guided session that may also consist of demonstrations. There will be plenty of time given to discuss ideas and needs - as well as giving hands on experience. Charges are £200 (with travel costs also if outside the area).
Please get in touch directly to check availability and to book
COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS:
- "I really enjoyed the opportunity of going out to sketch"
- "Having enjoyed the course at Dallam I wanted to continue to learn drawing techniques and oil painting with Ben's great teaching methods"
- "I only wish it was longer"
- "I enjoyed every part of it"
- "More time would have been great"
- "Getting to draw outside was a real highlight"
- "Ben is a very talented and enthusiastic teacher"
- "I have enjoyed learning to paint with a brilliant tutor!"
- "I was a complete novice when I first attended. Never painted since at school 60 years ago! Would recommend highly"